New English Course for Foreign Students (October 2003~)
The Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University has been making effort in various fields to acquire good international relationship with foreign countries through increased involvement in exchange of students and researchers and in joint research projects.
As a new program from 2003, the Graduate School of Engineering Science has decided to offer a new English course for foreign students, in which all lectures, as well as all instructions and supervision in research-related activities, are given in English so that students are not requested to learn Japanese to complete this course. In this course, globally recognized and highly qualified educations are given under the unique guiding principle of Ointegration of science and technologyO of the Graduate School of Engineering Science.
- The aim of this course is to develop excellent workers and/or researchers with not only high-level knowledge but also creative ability through multi- and interdisciplinary research training, seminars, and lectures, given by prominent professors in various fields.
- Students are instructed and trained in English so that they can complete the master and doctor courses only with English.
- Upon outstanding students, the doctor degree will be conferred in a period less than the given one (five years).
- An opportunity of internship training at vital Japanese companies will be provided in the English course. This will meet the requirements of foreign students who wish to have practical experience with first-class technologies in Japanese industries. This will also allow foreign students to get deeper understanding of the Japanese society.
Outline of Studies
- Foreign students will be requested to choose one of the eleven "divisions" of the Graduate School of Engineering Science, in the same way as Japanese students in the ordinary graduate course. Students will also be requested to choose one full professor or associate professor as a supervisor of research work in the chosen "division". The "divisions" of the Graduate School of Engineering Science are listed in "Departments". It also includes detailed contents of research and education.
- Foreign students will be requested to get at least 18 credits by lectures, in addition to seminars and research activities in a laboratory of their supervisor, for completing a master course. A list of English lectures (two credits for each lecture) and their syllabi are given in "Syllabus". The lectures can be classified into three major fields and one general one. The number of the English lectures is now planned to increase in each field. Students can also have internship training at Japanese companies (see No. 4 of the features) to get 2 credits.
- Foreign students, who can understand Japanese, are encouraged to attend some of Japanese lectures (lectures told in Japanese) that are provided in a variety of research areas and fields, for the purpose of widening and deepening the understanding of the students. The two credits are given for each lecture in the same way as for the English lectures.
- The English course opens the door to Japanese students, too, for the purpose of enhancing interaction between Japanese and foreign students.